Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding. Yes, that's a thing! And a very very delicious and smooth, silky, chocolatey one. The best part? This easy gluten-free dessert comes together in a snap!
After the mega-success of my shakarkandi ki kheer ( sweet potato pudding), I have been looking for ways to incorporate sweet potatoes in my desserts.
They blend seamlessly into the dessert flavors. Their texture makes the pudding simply sublime. Very much like how avocadoes behave in sweet treats like in my Chocolate Avocado Mousse. They offer velvety richness without making the dish decadently heavy.
And yes, you got it, this is a vegan, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, and gluten-free recipe...and I promise you, you won't even get to know.
How Can I Make Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding
Okay, now this is a ridiculously simple recipe. Just 5 ingredients. Steamed sweet potato, coconut milk, dates, sea salt, and cocoa powder.
All of these get blended in your food processor or blender. And that's it! That took what, 5 minutes?
The only prep you need to do is have the sweet potato cooked. If you don't want to steam it, you can pressure cook it. Or if you have even more time, simply roast it like you would a potato.
Now for the sweetener in this pudding. You can use dates. Or date syrup or maple syrup or honey. Whatever is easy and convenient for you. Since the sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, you don't need to add much sweetener anyways. But yes, add however much you prefer.
The important addition here is sea salt. Please don't leave that out. It seems like an insignificant amount, but trust me, it enhances flavors and balances out the sweetness. It brings out the depth and the distinct flavor of chocolate. If you want to read more about the importance of salt in desserts, just click here.
How Can I Serve This Pudding
This pudding is amazing just on its own. I would've happily eaten it straight out of the blender..and that's pretty unusual for me! But yes, trying to make the point ...it's THAT good!
You can pretty much serve it as is. Make it pretty with chopped pistachios. Walnuts or hazelnuts would be brilliant here too. I also sprinkled some chopped up orange zest. One bite with the zest and I realized I should have added some to the pudding itself. So if you can get your hands on a fresh orange, please please add the zest on top and in the pudding too.
And don't forget the little sprinkle of sea salt on top!
This pudding is best served chilled but its absolutely great at room temperature too. I think I'll let you be the best judge!
I hope you enjoy this delicious creamy dreamy Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding as much as we do. Eating healthy really is not boring at all!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding
- 1 large Sweet Potato, cooked and peeled
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk You may need more. You can use any milk of your choice
- 12-14 Dates, pitted and soaked in hot water You can use date syrup, honey or maple syrup instead
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- A small pinch of sea salt
- Pistachio slivers, Fresh Orange Zest and Sea salt
- Roughly chop the sweet potato.
- Add the chopped sweet potato, coconut milk, soaked dates, sea salt and cocoa powder to your blender or food processor. Blend until completely smooth.
- Taste and adjust for sweetness. You may want to add more cocoa powder or dates.
- If the pudding seems too thick, add more coconut milk, one tablespoon at a time.
- Transfer into pretty serving dishes and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Garnish with pistachios, orange zest, and sea salt and serve. Enjoy.