Yes, I know the weather is getting cooler. Warm, comfy breakfasts should be the order of the day. But for now, I’m enjoying the autumn bounty in its freshest form, like in this Beetroot Ginger Detox Smoothie! I can always follow-up with a cozy porridge, right?
With beetroot as a base, the most commonly known juice/ smoothie combination is with apples and carrot. Better known as ABC juice. While that is certainly a wonderful detox elixir, I wanted to add ginger to my recipe as well. It’s high in gingerol, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. According to our Ayurvedic system, ginger is wonderful for treating chronic indigestion and for strengthening immunity. This is because it’s a warming spice that breaks down toxic accumulation and also helps drain the lymphatic system.
Since I was out of carrots, I simply threw a bunch of frozen strawberries along with an apple. Blended it all with freshly squeezed orange juice. As a result, my smoothie got a big boost of vitamin C, along with fiber, phytochemicals ( that protect against cancer), many minerals like calcium, potassium and phosphorous. Fresh orange juice also adds a touch of sweetness to this smoothie.
This is one powerful detox concoction that tastes just as wonderful as it looks. And don’t worry, the beetroot taste isn’t overpowering at all. The earthy taste of this vegetable is perfectly balanced with sweet tangy strawberries, oranges, and apples, in addition to the sharp zingy flavor from ginger. So there you go – fabulous cleansing action that tastes really delicious!
- If the ginger taste is too strong for you, you can add some organic honey or jaggery.
- No strawberries ( fresh or frozen) available? Simply leave them out. Put a carrot or two, if you wish.
- I like to use cooked beetroot since its easier for my digestion. Feel free to keep it raw if you prefer.
- You can read more about the benefits of ginger here.
As with smoothies, I strongly suggest drinking this immediately as it will lose its nutritional value the longer it sits. It tastes the best when had fresh too.
It’s not easy getting the recommended servings of fruits and veggies in our diet, as conscientious as we may be. Smoothies really come in handy for that. You are not leaving out the pulp, so you get all the fiber and goodness of the produce. For more smoothie ideas do check out these recipes:
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and FACEBOOK for more fabulous recipes!
Beetroot Ginger Detox Smoothie
- 1 Beetroot cooked & diced
- 1 Apple diced
- 1/2" Fresh ginger root sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup Strawberry fresh or frozen
- 8 Almonds
- Juice from 2 oranges Freshly squeezed
- Place all the ingredients in your blender and process till smooth.
- You can add more orange juice or some water if you'd like a thinner consistency.
- Taste and add sweetener if you'd like. Please consume immediately and enjoy!