This is a rather short post. Diwali is just a few days away and for all those still wondering if you want to try making any sweet at home, I’ve got you completely covered with this fabulous Coconut Saffron Burfi. Its a simple homemade pleasure at its best.
This one comes from my father’s recipe archives and is just to die for! In fact, it reminds me of “kalakand” with its soft grainy texture and distinctive sweet fudgy milky taste. Saffron and pistachio give gorgeous festive colors and flavors.
Although there is a wide variety of mithai available in the markets, there is nothing quite like making some at home, involving the family, making this a Diwali ritual that everyone looks forward too. Especially since its incredibly easy to make and doesn’t need an exhaustive list of fancy ingredients.
Here’s to everyone’s health and happiness with this gem of a dessert.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Coconut Saffron Burfi
- 200 gms Desiccated coconut
- 250 gms Khoya
- 100 gms Powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 tsp Saffron soaked in 50ml warm milk
- 25 gms Pistachio roughly chopped
- Cook the khoya, in a thick bottomed pan over very low heat for about 5-6 minutes, constantly stirring it.
- Mix in the powdered sugar and cook for another 5-6 minutes, while stirring it continuously.
- Add in the coconut. Cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Drizzle in the ghee and saffron milk. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Sprinkle in the pistachios.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a greased tray. Cool completely in the refrigerator. Cut in squares and serve. Enjoy!