Warm, moist and so soft, this homey Walnut & Fig Banana Bread spells comfort. A slice of this freshly baked bread will make you feel all is well with the world!
Years ago when I had started baking, there were all these basic cakes I felt the need to master – vanilla, chocolate, Victoria sponge cake, swiss rolls, etc, etc.. One time my aunt treated me to a simple banana bread, I realized that this is one recipe that everyone must have in their repertoire.
Its a quick bread that promises cozy, delicious comfort in every bite. Warm, super moist, soft, it’s a universal favorite. Truly! I’m yet to find anyone who doesn’t love a slice of this homey goodness.
This walnut & fig banana bread is very basic and simple. It is a one-bowl recipe. All you need is a bowl, a fork, and ripe bananas. No need to get your mixer out. No separating eggs, beating the whites till stiff…Plain simple dump everything in a bowl, one after another and mix. I think the simplicity of this cake is what makes it so heartwarming too.
One thing you must ensure is that you’re using very ripe bananas. They will give you the sweetest and the best banana flavor. Honestly, sometimes I buy bananas and let them sit out to get spotty just to make this bread!
Soft ripe bananas make mashing them with a fork easier too. I tend to keep it chunky as opposed to a smooth puree as I like that rustic texture.
This is a basic recipe that allows any number of variations. You can use all-purpose flour or buckwheat flour instead of wholewheat flour. Add jaggery powder in place of brown sugar.
Leave out the figs and walnuts, add any nuts of your choice. Throw in some chocolate chips if you want. Even some flax or pumpkin seeds. A teaspoon of coffee powder in the batter will transform this banana bread into a delicious coffee cake. You get the drift, right?!
This walnut & fig walnut bread is a keeper, I promise you. Its a great one for snacking and keeps well in the tiffin too. Drizzle it with salted caramel sauce to turn this simple cake into a decadent dessert. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you’ll have fans for life!
If you try this recipe, do let me know. I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Walnut & Fig Banana Bread
- 3 - 4 Bananas, very ripe
- 1/3 cup Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/3 cup Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Diced dried figs
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease a loaf pan 8" x 4".
- In a large bowl, add the bananas and mash with a fork. Mix in the oil, vanilla extract, and eggs.
- To this mixture, add the brown sugar and mix well.
- Now stir in the flour, salt, cinnamon powder, and baking soda. Mix until just moistened.
- Fold in the walnuts and figs.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for about 45 - 50 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean. If the cake starts to brown a lot on the top, cover it loosely with a piece of foil.
- Turn the cake out onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!