A perfectly soft, fluffy, and gooey Chocolate Cherry Mug Cake for when you need dessert, stat!
I swear, I’ve never had so much fun using my microwave! I love mug cakes because all you really need are a handful of ingredients and one bowl. The same cannot be said for most of my baking endeavors which require more dishwashing than prep time. Now that cherries have finally flooded the market, this cherry chocolate mug cake has become my new best friend.
The ease and instant gratification that come with this recipe make it the ultimate comfort dessert! I whip it up when everyone has gone to bed, to enjoy with reruns of Friends. I make it between a particularly grueling workday or math homework assignment. In just 5-minutes – bliss!
I tend to limit easy access to sweets at home because the entire family (including yours truly) has a mega sweet tooth. Instead, I prefer making personalized mini desserts like these which don’t hang around and incite any midnight cravings!
This mug cake also happens to be gluten-free and vegan. It's truly simple and you’ll have most of the ingredients on hand. I have used ragi ( finger millet flour) in this recipe, but feel free to use any gluten-free flour or whole wheat, or all-purpose flour here. All you need to do is mix them up in a bowl and then microwave the mixture for a minute! So, if you want a decadent, delicious, and easy cake – look no further! This recipe is mess-free and amazingly low effort.
Another delightful thing about mug cakes is how you can customize them! My son loves to top his with Nutella, whereas for me, a dollop of yogurt or ice cream is perfect. Chocolate sauce or a cherry compote would be lovely here too.
Juicy sweet cherries combined with dark moist chocolate cake, crammed with gooey chocolate chips and chunks...this easy mug cake is really a drool-worthy dessert!
If the cherry season hasn’t come your way yet or you just want a good old plain chocolate fix, I’ve also got the recipe for a healthy chocolate mug cake!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, and FACEBOOK for more fabulous recipes!
Chocolate Cherry Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp Ragi / fingermillet flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp Dairy free chocolate or Dark chocolate (70%) chips Of course you can add more!!
- 8-10 Cherries, pitted and halved
- Combine all the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Whisk with a fork to break up all lumps.
- Stir in the wet ingredients - coconut oil, milk, vanilla extract. Mix well. You should have a thick batter. If the batter seems too dry, add another tablespoon of milk.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and cherries.
- Scrape the mixture into a microwave friendly mug. Place a plate underneath ( to catch any overflow). Sprinkle some chocolate chips if you like. Set the plate in your microwave and cook for 1 minute 15 secs. You may have to cook for another 30 secs, depending on your microwave.
- Let the cake cool down for a few minutes and then serve it warm, with or without ice cream! Enjoy!