Okay so making your own crackers may seem to be an arduous task and why make your own when there are so many options available in the market..right? But what if I told you making them is one of the easiest bit of baking you'll ever do. You need no special equipment ( except an oven!) and the ingredients come straight from your pantry shelf. And you are rewarded with the tastiest crackers that no boxed variety can match!
These homemade wholegrain Ajwain crackers are my take on the Indian bakery style ajwain and jeera biscuits we grew up eating. Savory, crispy, buttery, intermingled with the sharp, spicy seeds, these are really quite moreish. So wonderful on their own, with a creamy yogurt dip, mint chutney or with this glorious Ginger Beetroot Apple Chutney. Recipe for this will follow real soon, I promise!
Ajwain, also known as Carom seeds or Bishop's weed, maybe a tiny seed, but is packed with immense healing powers. For as long as I remember, my mother has always given all of us ajwain water, to help with any kind of stomach ailments. Now its a staple in my house too. Simply boil a teaspoon of the seeds with a cup of water for a couple of minutes. Strain and sip throughout the day. You could also chew on them ( raw or roasted) to deal with indigestion and acidity. It's been used as a medicinal ingredient for ages in Ayurveda.
Now, these crackers are full of goodness from wholewheat and oat flours too. I made two versions, with and without cheese, both options are given in the recipe below. Though the one with cheese was easier to slice, I was very happy with the taste of both.
Apart from the unbeatable fresh taste, homemade crackers are free from all the nasty stuff, have only real ingredients, the amount of fats, salt and sugar going in your recipe are completely in your control. This recipe is pretty foolproof. You just make a simple dough with all the ingredients, roll into a log, freeze it for 30- 40 minutes ( to firm up the dough to enable easier slicing), cut into slices and bake for 10-12 minutes. That's simple.
Making healthy homemade wholegrain crackers doesn't have to be complicated at all and it really is deeply satisfying.
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Homemade Wholegrain Ajwain (Carom seed) Crackers
- 110 gms Wholewheat flour
- 110 gms Oats flour I just processed oats in my coffee grinder to make a flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Ajwain
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 70 gms Cheese, grated You could leave out the cheese if you wish and add 2 tbsp of olive oil instead.
- 80 gms Butter, melted
- 2-3 Tbsp Yogurt or milk
- 3 Tbsp Oats, optional For rolling
- Combine all the ingredients, except oats, in a large bowl. Knead them together gently to make a soft but pliable dough. If the dough is too soft, add some more flour. If its too dry, you can add some more milk or yogurt.
- Shape the dough into a 12" log. Spread the oats on a tray and roll the log on them so they cover the entire surface. Cover tightly in a foil or plastic wrap and freeze for 30-40 minutes. This will enable you to slice easily and evenly.
- Preheat your oven to 170 C. Line your baking tray with silpat or parchment paper.
- Cut your log into 1/4" slices using a sharp knife. Lay them out on your baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Let them cool completely. They will harden as they cool. Store in an airtight jar. This should keep well for at least a week. They haven't lasted more than 3 days in house though! 🙂
Fitness Flavours says
Really seems yummy and healthy.
Thanks for sharing
Thank you for stopping by! So glad you liked this!:)