Sweet potato crackers are airy, crunchy, savory, and super addictive. If you’re hunting for a healthy snack recipe for the holidays with a really short ingredient list that doesn’t demand a long, drawn-out process, these sweet potato chips are it!
Seriously when it comes to these sweet potato crackers, I have no willpower. They are a bit of a weakness. Not because they are delish (heavenly so). But because they are the ideal healthy snacks for Christmas. Great for scooping cheese or nibbling on in-between meals.
THIS SWEET POTATO CRACKERS RECIPE
Is absolutely kid-friendly
Is healthier (baked, not fried)
Is ready in less than half an hour
Is a fun appetizer for a holiday party
Fab edible gift for Thanksgiving or Christmas gatherings.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CRACKERS?
Step 1: In a large bowl, mix all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, red chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried thyme.
Step 2: Add sweet potato purée and olive oil to the dry ingredients.
Step 3: Combine the purée and the dry ingredients to make a soft, pliable dough. Cover and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
BAKING SWEET POTATO CHIPS
Step 4: Divide the dough into 4 parts.
Step 5: Roll each part into a rectangle and then cut it into square chips.
Step 6: Bake the sweet potato crackers for 15 minutes!
Final step: Serve with a dip, cheese, chutney, and co!
SECRETS TO CRISPY CRACKERS
- If your sweet potato cracker dough is too soft to handle, refrigerate it till it firms up enough to roll easily.
- The key to crispy sweet potato snacks is thin rolling. The thinner the chips, the crispier result.
- When each sweet potato cracker is thick, you get chewy chips as opposed to crackly ones. To my surprise, my son preferred the chewy ones, so don’t discount them!
- These crackers get done rather fast. And you don’t want to burn or overbake them. For me, 15 minutes at 350 °F (180 °C) worked well. But every oven is different, so keep an eye on them.
- I had to rotate the tray once to bake the crackers evenly. While this is not necessary (depending on your oven), check once to see if the chips are browning evenly.
- If the underside is not baking properly, turn them upside down.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO PURÉE?
Sweet potatoes can be puréed in a variety of ways, including by steaming, boiling, and roasting. I always choose to steam the potatoes until they are super soft. For my sweet potato bread, I mashed them with a fork, but for these baked sweet potato chips, I wanted a smoother finish.
So, they went in a food processor with a couple of tablespoons of water. You might need to add more water, but be cautious. Incorporate one tablespoon at a time because you don’t want a runny purée. You want a thick one.
It takes 5 minutes to make the purée, but yes, you can still make it a day ahead.
CUTTING THE HEALTHY HOLIDAY SNACKS
Cut the crackers into any shape you prefer. You can use a knife or pizza cutter to make rectangles, triangles, or squares – whatever catches your fancy. If you’re not too savvy with freehand cutting (like me), use a cookie cutter and make fun shapes!
MAKE A HEALTHY SNACK BOARD
Sweet potato crackers are a fantastic nibble to have during the holiday season. Snack on them as-is, serve them with dips, or keep them as a side to soups. But if you’re in the mood for lavish Christmas healthy snacks, then they are meant to be matched with an easy cheese board.
Sweet Potatoes: Use whichever variety of sweet potatoes is available locally. Starch makes crackers crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. So, look for dense sweet potatoes; they’ll have more starch than usual.
Oil: Olive oil lends a fruitiness to the crackers that we just love. Melted butter or any other oil are good substitutes, though.
Flour: You can 100% make this sweet potato crackers recipe with whole wheat flour.
Seasoning: The chips are like a blank canvas; paint them with whatever spices allure you. For us, the Kashmiri chili gave them the perfect kick. However, you can make the sweet potato crackers as spicy (or as mild) as you like. Here are a few others that are just as delicious:
- Cinnamon powder
- Ground ginger
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Ground or crushed cumin
- Garam masala and turmeric
- Za’atar or any other spice you enjoy
MORE HOLIDAY SNACKS
Sweet Potato Crackers | Healthy Snack Recipe
- 1.5 cups / 200 gms All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 cup / 250 gms Sweet potato puree
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 180 C. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and chilli powder.
- Add the sweet potato puree and olive oil to the dry ingredients. Mix well with your hands. Knead briefly until a soft and pliable dough is formed.
- Cover with a kitchen napkin and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Starting with one portion, roll it out thinly on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut into small squares and place on the prepared tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180 C, rotating the tray halfway until the crackers are golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before transferring to an air-tight container. Enjoy!