Yes, MY cherry love continues unabated this summer. Today I have here the classic pairing of chocolate and cherries in my Eggless Chocolate Cherry Cake. Fudgy, moist with juicy chunks of the fruit in every bite! It's truly blissful!
This eggless chocolate cherry cake gets it intense chocolatey flavour from cocoa powder. And the gooey part comes from the healthy dose of dark chocolate chips that go in here. Now despite all the chocolate in here, this is not a saccharine sweet dessert. You know that's not my preference at all. I love a deep, dark well-balanced chocolate flavour. And a sprinkle of sea salt takes it up several notches!
Yogurt works very well here to make this cake perfectly soft and moist. Make sure it's either Greek yogurt or homemade yogurt that's been drained for a bit to get rid of the excess water. I've got coconut oil here , instead of butter. And that, in my opinion, also contributes to the tender crumb. But go ahead use butter, if you prefer that flavour. It'll still be awesome!
The sweet sour cherries give this cake such a wonderful bright flavour that just gets better the next day as the chocolate cake absorbs all the lovely juices. So good that you won't even notice its made with whole-wheat flour! Just don't overbake it!!
Now this is pretty much a one bowl cake. No mixers or beaters required. That's always a winner in my books! What I would like to emphasize on is that please please line that pan of yours. It's a very soft cake that breaks apart easily...I speak from my rather tearful experience! Take my word for it. Also, the pan size matters here. I used a 9" square pan ( you could even use an 8" or 9" round cake tin). I would definitely stay away from a loaf pan..that's what caused the tears!
So get those cherries out and try this wickedly moreish eggless Chocolate Cherry Cake. I’d love to hear from you. Please do rate and comment below! You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM , PINTEREST and FACEBOOK for more fabulous recipes!
Eggless Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1 3/4 cup Wholewheat flour
- 1/4 cup Cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil Or any vegetable oil / butter ( melted)
- 1 cup Coconut milk Or any milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt Or any plant based yogurt, if you want to make it VEGAN
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup Dark chocolate chips 70% or Dairy free chocolate chips
For the topping
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 1-2 Tbsp Dark chocolate chips 70% or Dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Line your baking pan with parchment paper. I used a 9" square pan. You can use a round 8" or 9" pan too.
- Combine all the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar in a bowl. Whisk them well to remove any lumps.
- Now add the oil, milk, yogurt and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Mix well but gently. Your batter should be thick,shiny and smooth.
- Fold in the cherries and chocolate chips. Scrape the batter in your prepared pan. Sprinkle with sea salt and some more chocolate chips if you like.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Please don't over bake this cake, else it will be very dry. Let cool for about 30 minutes before turning it out on a serving platter. Cut into squares and enjoy!