These Feta & Spinach Muffins are the perfect healthy snack! Using only a few simple ingredients, they are easy to make and lip-smacking good. Pop them into lunch boxes, serve as an after school snack or pick me up any time of day. Nourishing, quick and tasty.
I'm always on the lookout for healthy snack recipes. Something that is easy to make, has a good nutritional boost and can fill up the always hungry kids. These Feta & Spinach Muffins fit the bill perfectly! They are so wonderfully easy to make and scrumptious.
The Feta & Spinach Muffins have enough cheese to keep kids interested but not overloaded. To pump it up nutritionally there is spinach! You can add a healthy dose of nutrients to any dish with spinach. Since it's loaded with good quality iron, it helps to restore energy, increase vitality and improve the quality of the blood.
Salty, tangy, crumbly feta cheese is wonderfully delicious here. It pairs beautifully with spinach...one of those classic combinations. If you use a slightly firm variety, it won't melt into gooey nothingness. Instead, it will hold its shape and texture and every bite will have chunks of this creamy cheese. Bits of jalapenos, olives, and sun-dried tomato really makes these muffins sing!
Important recipe note -
- It's really important that you grease and flour the muffin tray well. Trust me, I learned the hard way.....Its no fun eating muffins stuck in a pan!
- Use a knife to loosen the edges before turning them out. As the bottom of these muffins can be a bit soft, do place them upside down on the cooling rack. Don't worry, 10 minutes of these firms them up nicely.
- You could use any cheese instead of cheddar in this recipe. I used regular cheddar in one batch and sharp cheddar in another, we loved both!
How to make the Feta & Spinach Muffins
- Sift the flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the spinach, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, jalapeno and grated cheese. Mix well.
- In another bowl, whisk together milk, egg and oil.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the flour mixture. Stir well.
- Add the feta and gently fold in.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pans. Sprinkle some extra grated cheese and bake for 35 – 40 min at 180 C or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn out on a wire rack after 10 minutes or so. Serve warm or at room temperature!
Make a batch of these healthy muffins in the morning and sort out all your snacking/lunchbox needs! Store them in the refrigerator and reheated them in the microwave or OTG ( toaster oven) the next day. You can eat them as is or slather them with a dip or serve them as a side to your meal. They are lip-smacking good!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Feta & Spinach Muffins
- 170 gms All Purpose Flour
- 160 gms Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 200 gms Chopped Spinach
- 50 gms Sun Dried Tomatoes diced fine
- 30 gms Olives diced fine
- 330 ml Milk
- 100 ml Oil
- 1 Egg
- 40 gms Grated Cheddar Cheese plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 120 gms Feta Cheese cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin tray.
- Sift the flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the spinach, olives, sun-dried tomatoes , jalapeno and grated cheese. Mix well.
- Separately, whisk together milk, egg and oil. Pour over the flour mixture. Stir well. Add the feta and gently fold in.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pans. Sprinkle some extra grated cheese and bake for 35 – 40 min or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Turn out on a wire rack after 10 minutes or so. Serve warm or at room temperature.