Totally loving these cool and quiet autumnal mornings. The rest of the day goes in a tizzy for me with my workload getting heavier and heavier. On top of that, there is mammoth repair work going on at home. We thought just some patchwork was needed, but no, we have to get the entire terrace waterproofed and what not. My OCD streak is in complete overdrive!! But to tide over the day’s craziness, there are these Peanut Butter Apple Muffins. Thank god for small mercies!
Apples with peanut butter have been one of our favorite snack since my daughter’s toddler days. We all love a good dollop of peanut butter on anything; sandwiches, smoothies, salad dressings, wraps, and of course in my baked goodies. I could even eat it straight up from the jar! I’m happy we are getting good quality all-natural and organic peanut butter now in Gurgaon. Not a fan of the regular supermarket varieties…tastes too artificial to me.
These muffins truly what muffin dreams are made of! Super quick to make, tender, moist, not too sweet, bursting with fresh apples. Flavored with smooth peanut butteriness ….in the batter, in that amazing crunchy streusel and then to take a notch further, in the drizzle. As the drizzle settles in, it almost takes on a caramel-like taste which is absolutely smashing with the apple bits.
So get in the spirit of fall, whip up a batch of these, let the delicious aromas fill up your house and your senses!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Peanut Butter Apple Muffins
- 320 grams whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 170 grams sugar
- 1 egg
- 120 ml oil
- 2 tbsp peanut butter heaped
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 ml buttermilk Stir in 1.5 tsp white into 250ml milk,let stand for 5 mins
- 2 large apples peeled and diced into small pieces
For the streusel
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 40 grams rolled oats
- 40 grams brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
For the drizzle (optional)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter heaped
- 2-3 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin tray or line it with paper baking cups.
- Make the streusel - Combine the oats, both butters, sugar and cinnamon powder in a small bowl with your fingers until you have a crumbly texture. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together wholewheat flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, buttermilk, peanut butter and vanilla.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the apples. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups dividing the batter evenly and filling about ¾ full.Divide the streusel topping equally among the muffins.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, not wet batter. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning them out on a cooling rack.
- Make the drizzle - Combine peanut butter and honey in a small bowl. Add water, 1 Tbsp at a time to make a thick pouring consistency. Drizzle with peanut butter and enjoy!