The flavors of chocolate cream cheese muffins are fantastic and rich. The tangy touch of yogurt and cream cheese intersects with chocolate in perfect balance, striking the right notes in every way.
It’s been less than 24 hours, and my family is already begging for more!
What’s even better?
This easy muffin recipe gets two thumbs up from me too because it hardly takes any time to bake them. The muffins are soft and moist, and the pools of melted chocolate chips make them extra indulgent. I know I will regret not making them again!
I feel I should give you a fair warning. These decadent chocolate muffins are less a snack and more a dessert. Definitely not meant for the breakfast table ( I won't judge you if you do!), but rather superb for an after-dinner treat.
They’re adapted from my chocolate protein muffins. And, in case you’ve been searching for the best double chocolate muffins of your life. This is it.
Step 1: Because this is an eggless muffin recipe, start with the buttermilk. Mix vinegar into lukewarm milk and set it aside.
Step 2: Sift together all-purpose flour and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl to remove any lumps. Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
Step 3: To your buttermilk, thoroughly whisk in the oil and vanilla extract.
Step 4: Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine gently just until everything comes together in a thick consistency.
Optional step: With a very light hand, fold in chocolate chips, because why not? Tiny bits of chocolate makes everything better!
Layer and bake the muffins
Step 6: Beat cream cheese with plain Greek yogurt, a little bit of flour, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.
Step 7: Line your muffin tray with paper cups (or silicone if that’s your preference). Fill each about 3/4th of the way with the chocolate batter.
Step 8: Plonk a tablespoon of the cream cheese filling on top, followed by the remaining chocolate batter.
Step 10: Use your knife to gently swirl the two batters together for that marbled look. Finish off with a crown of chocolate chips. Again, this is optional, but I never say no to some more decadence.
Final step: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes till spongy and perfect. Cheesecake batters tend to take longer to bake, but I recommend keeping an eye on them after the 20-min mark.
Serve: Muffins are not meant to sit in the baking tray. But because these are cream cheese muffins. Let them cool for about 10 minutes, so the cream cheese filling has time to set. Then turn over a wire rack. Serve them warm or cooled to room temperature.
Insert a toothpick in the center of any muffin. It should come out more or less clean of any cheesecake batter. If the toothpick merely has a chocolate coating (for those who add chocolate chips), reinsert it into another part to double-check.
Do these muffins need to be refrigerated?
Yes! If you’re not eating chocolate cream cheese muffins right away or have leftovers, I strongly suggest refrigerating them. When you are ready to enjoy them, nuke the muffins in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds, if you prefer to eat them warm.
2 Tasha tips for making decadent chocolate muffins
- The oil, the buttermilk, and the cream cheese do their jobs really well in these double whammies! But to keep these chocolate cheesecake swirl muffins light and fluffy instead of tough and chewy, don’t overmix. You fold the dry and wet ingredients till they're just moistened.
- Keep all the ingredients for the cream cheese filling at room temperature. I’ve learned they cream better and are easier to mix.
Flour: I’ve baked plenty of muffins with whole-wheat flour. It works beautifully every time, lending them more structure and texture. Use 100% whole wheat, or make it half all-purpose and half whole-wheat flour.
Yogurt: I know homemade yogurt fares equally well in the recipe. Just remember to drain it thoroughly so it’s thick and creamy.
Eggs: My chocolate cream cheese muffin recipe is eggless. But you can reduce the quantity of buttermilk and add 2 eggs.
Why is this chocolate cream cheese muffin recipe so good?
It looks complicated, but you don’t even need an electric whisk.
It makes 10 decadent, ginormous muffins (or if you’re not reeling under temptation, 12 normal-sized ones).
2 more chocolate muffin recipes
Other easy muffin recipes
Chocolate Cream Cheese Muffins
- 300 gms ( 1 1/4 cup) Milk, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 240 gms ( 1 3/4 cups) All-purpose flour
- 30 gms ( 1/3 cup) Cocoa powder
- 2.5 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 125 gms ( 1/2 cup) Sugar
- 120 gms ( 1/2 cup) Coconut oil You can use any oil you prefer
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 90 gms ( 1/2 cup) Dark chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Batter
- 130 gms ( 3/4 cup) Cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tbs Greek yogurt, plain
- 3 tbs Icing sugar
- 2 tsp All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180C. Grease and flour a muffin tray or line it with paper baking cups.
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Keep aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk in the sugar.
- Into the milk- vinegar mixture, add in the oil, and vanilla extract.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups dividing the batter evenly and filling about 2/3 full. There should be some chocolate batter left over.
- Add a tablespoon or 2 of the cheesecake mixture.
- Top each muffin with the remaining chocolate batter and lightly swirl the batters, using a toothpick or a knife.
- Add some more chocolate chips on top, this is optional.
- Bake for about 25-26 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, not wet batter.
- Let them cool for about 10 minutes, so the cream cheese filling has time to set. Then turn over a wire rack. Serve them warm or cooled to room temperature. Enjoy!
- Store the leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
cream Cheese Batter
- Beat the cream cheese with the Greek yogurt, flour, icing sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy.