While we are grappling with insane heat and humidity through the day, have you noticed there is actually a soft cool breeze early morning and that crunch of dried leaves under your feet? Signs of change I say. Time for fall recipes, peppered with warm spice and everything nice. Time to bring out that adored pumpkin and turn it into a scrumptious cake… Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Cake w/ Orange Cream Cheese Frosting!
This flavor combination has been haunting me forever. And how fabulously well did it all come together!! I mean, what not to like? Moist chocolate cake swirling between gloriously spiced pumpkin cake, and finally bringing both of these together – tangy cream cheese frosting bursting with fresh orange flavor. I love how this unassuming vegetable transforms into something spectacular in any recipe. EVERYTIME.
I have to confess, I did have a series of disasters with this cake. I think I was trying too many permutations and combinations. Oh well! But somehow, that’s what I enjoy about baking and cooking. I love tweaking, playing around with ingredients. As with everything in life, sometimes it’s a hit and the other times a total miss. The whole point is to keep trying and you will end up with a platter full of deliciousness, I promise!
I’d love to hear about your cake baking experience, good and bad!!
I hope this Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Cake makes it to your Fall table and you enjoy it as much as we do. Every year!
I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes! Do subscribe to Tasha’s Artisan Foods so you’ll never miss a recipe!
Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 240 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 170 grams sugar
- 125 ml oil
- 125 ml buttermilk Stir 1.5tsp white vinegar in 250ml milk, let stand 5 mins
- 250 grams pumpkin puree
- 90 grams dark chocolate melted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
Orange Cream Cheese frosting
- 120 grams cream cheese softened
- 2-4 tbsp orange juice
- 60 grams icing sugar
- Pre heat oven to 180 C. Grease and flour an 8" baking pan.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and pumpkin spice together in a large bowl. Gently stir in the orange zest.
- In another large bowl or your mixer, beat the eggs and sugar very well. Slowly drizzle in the oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
- Fold in the sifted dry ingredients. Divide the batter in half. Add the melted chocolate and cocoa powder to half of the mixture.
- Add the two batters to the prepared pan, alternating between pumpkin and chocolate. Swirl through the batter using a skewer or knife. Be careful not to overmix.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 - 50 mins or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 - 20 minutes before turning it out on a cooling rack.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the frosting : Whisk together the cream cheese and icing sugar until smooth. Taste and adjust for sweetness. Thin with fresh orange juice, 1 Tbsp at a time until it has the consistency of soft whipped cream.
- Spread the orange cream cheese frosting over the completely cooled cake. Sprinkle some orange zest on top and enjoy!