After hanging around on my “must make” list, savoury waffles finally made an appearance in my kitchen! And boy, how good are these Sweet Potato Cornmeal Waffles…crunchy with a delicate moist centre and so healthy too!
I think I’m borderline addicted to sweet potatoes. When in season, they make it to our table almost every day. They are wonderful roasted like in my Sweet Potato Fries, in salads like these Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad and Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad , in soups like this Roasted Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup. They make a healthy snack, just simply steamed, tossed in lemon juice and some chaat masala. Today they are the star ingredient in my Sweet Potato Cornmeal Waffles.
This versatile tuber is nutritionally power packed. It’s a low-calorie vegetable that’s loaded with fiber and potassium. They are an excellent source of vitamin A. Rich in vitamin B6, vitamin C and D, they also have high iron and magnesium ( which helps with chronic fatigue and insomnia!) content. Being complex carbohydrates, their natural sugar is released slowly in the body, thus providing balanced energy without any spike in the blood sugar level.
Back to the recipe, sweet potatoes add a good amount of moisture and their natural sweetness to the waffles or any baked goodies. Cornmeal ( not to be confused with cornflour) makes them crunchy and gives a tender crumb. It also adds a tinge of sweet nutty flavor which so unique. These waffles are best served immediately but they do reheat rather well in a toaster.
They are superb for a lazy brunch or even dinner..served with some veggies, an egg , tofu, sausages or maybe chicken. There are so many sauces that would work with these waffles – tahini yogurt sauce, bbq sauce, soy honey, sriracha, pesto, spicy tomato chutney and even our good old mint chutney. I made a simple soy honey mustard sauce for the platter pictured. Simply mix a tablespoon of soy sauce, a teaspoon of honey and half a teaspoon of mustard in a small bowl. Add chilli flakes and coarsely ground pepper and done!
I hope you won’t wait as long as I did to make these delicious hearty wholesome Sweet Potato Cornmeal Waffles and will enjoy them as much as we did!
If you try this recipe, do let me know. I’d love to hear from you! Please tag me on Instagram @tashasartisanfoods, using the hashtag #tashasartisanfoods. You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST for more fabulous recipes!
Sweet Potato Cornmeal Waffles
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes,cooked I cooked them in my pressure cooker. You could even steam them.
- 1 1/4 cup Almond milk you can use any milk
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- small handfull Fresh Basil, finely chopped
- Place the sweet potatoes, olive oil and almond milk in a blender. Process till smooth.
- Pour out into a large bowl, stir in the beaten egg, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and turmeric powder. Mix the chopped basil in the batter.
- Preheat your waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Grease the waffle cavities well and pour a ladleful of batter in the cavity. Let the batter cook for 5-6 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve warm. Enjoy!